After revisiting the 1997 adaptation (we like Jeremy Irons) of Vladimir Nabokovs Lolita we noticed how gorgeous the wardrobe was, especially that of the main character Dolores "Lo" Haze. Set in 1947 it follows the dark obsession that Humbert Humbert (Irons) has with his wife's teenage daughter. The costumes and styling are absolutely gorgeous with a 40's theme throughout.
It makes for uncomfortable viewing with it's unnerving contrast of younger girls clothes and braces with grown up red lipstick and swim suits. However there is something about this contradiction teamed with cute milk maid braids that creates such a striking look. Even though it makes the viewer feel slightly awkward.
Tuesday, 24 January 2012
Thursday, 19 January 2012
Friday, 13 January 2012
After watching Summer of Sam last night we got completely fixated with Mira Sorvino. Set in the summer of 1977 in New York, Mira plays Dionna wife of philanderer Vincent (played by John Leguizamo). We just love her 70's glam get up and sassy attitude. Now where to find a fringed red dress?
Thursday, 12 January 2012
1. Not usually a pop art fan but we really love Jimmy Turrell's imagery.
2. Ever so cute AND practicle. We could think of some good uses for these Old Gummed Labels from Present & Correct.
3. How simple are these little cloud coasters from Barefoot Dynasty? Simple yet very effective.
4. A ridiculous Want, but a want all the same. This Ossie Clark we saw on Black Market Mag is divine.
5. For gorgeous imagery we would suggest Park & Cube. Go have a look!